I’m a big fan of having a concentrated multi-surface cleaner that smells really good. I use it to clean the counters, to mop the floors, to refill my spray mop, and even to clean glass. I used to swear by LYSOL Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner in its lemon scent.
I began my clean swap by changing my countertop spray to Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena spray and I was blinded by the “98% natural ingredients” phrase on the label and didn’t actually check the ingredients. When I became more conscious of the resources available for making better non-toxic purchasing decisions, I quickly discovered that the product I thought was natural actually had a poor rating in EWG (C) and Think Dirty (7). Mrs Meyers is a prime example of “greenwashing” where the product is marketed as natural, healthy or “green” when it actually isn’t a completely non-toxic version. Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena Multi Surface Cleaner has Fragrance & PEG-5 Cocoate, which are endocrine disruptors, allergens and irritants.
After that initial disappointment, I became more meticulous in my research and was excited to find that I didn’t have to sacrifice smell or cleanliness when going completely non-toxic.
Why is it worth the swap?
LYSOL Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner, Sparkling Lemon & Sunflower
Think Dirty Rating: N/A but a similiar one has a 7
- ALKYL DIMETHYL BENZYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDES (C12-16): Moderate concern for respiratory effects
- FRAGRANCE: it can be a combination of nearly 3000 fragrant ingredients and is added to mask odors or add a scent. This is considered proprietary information and manufacturers don’t need to disclose specific ingredients. May include possible carcinogens, possible allergens, and possible endocrine disruptors.
- SODIUM BORATE/BORAX: May cause respiratory and skin irritation. High concern for possible reproductive toxic effects.
- FD&C YELLOW 5: may cause cancer
- LIMONENE: may cause skin irritation/allergies/damage, respiratory effects and cancer
- LINALOOL: is a recognized allergen, may contain formaldehyde which is proven to cause cancer.
- it also has other ingredients that cause aquatic toxicity and general ecotoxicity
Think Dirty Rating: not yet available