I’d love to take credit for this genius pesto, but this pesto happened because I hadn’t gone to the supermarket. I was craving pesto, but I didn’t have enough basil to make regular pesto, and arugula was the only other green in my fridge so it found it’s way into the food processor . I remember loving a lemony arugula breakfast salad I had in a small spot in Puerto Rico, so I added extra lemon and some lemon zest just because. The result was a pleasant surprise.
This vegan Lemon Arugula pesto is peppery and versatile enough to have with zucchini noodles or regular pasta. I prefer it with penne or pasta that has nooks and crannies where the pesto can stick to, but I have some friends that had a whole batch with just crackers.
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 oz Basil (about 1 cup packed)
- 2 oz Arugula leaves (about 2 cups packed)
- Juice of 1 & 1/2 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste (I start with 1 tsp)
- Add all ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor or blender.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the food processor
- Mix with your favorite pasta or pasta substitute
*Tip: make a double batch and store it in an air tight container in the fridge for a quick dinner. Can also be used as a seasoning for chicken or fish.