At this point it’s no secret that I’m a fan of bean salads, or any yummy way to get nutrition-dense legumes into my daily diet. This lentil and beet salad with a mustard vinaigrette is a great, and easy salad that’s a great summer dinner.
Lentils are a great source of protien, folate, iron and manganese. Manganese plays a key role in nutrient absorption, production of digestive enzymes, bone development and preventing osteoporosis and the immune-system.
- 2 Cups cooked lentils (about 1 cup dry)
- 1 Cup cooked & diced beets
- Arugula for serving
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook lentils: combine one cup of lentils with two cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Dice cooked beets into small pieces
- Combine room temperature cooked lentils and beets in a bowl
- Make the mustard vinaigrette by combining mustard, champagne vinegar and olive oil well. ( I cheat and use my milk frother)
- Add about 1/2 cup of the dressing to the lentil & beet mix and mix well. Add salt and pepper and more dressing to taste.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 mins before serving.
- Serve over arugula and top with toasted walnuts for some crunch.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS & NOTES:
- Serve over arugula or spinach.
- Beets can also be substituted for butternut squash or sweet potato.
- Champagne vinegar can be substituted for rice vinegar.
- Serve warm in the fall and winter.
- Can be made nut free by removing the walnut topping.