This recipe is on intense repeat in my house. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen it multiple times in my stories. It’s delicious, super quick, and I somehow always have the ingredients on hand.
I have to admit I sometimes eat it with nothing else, but it pairs well with:
- Sautéed greens with garlic
- Roasted broccoli
- Brown Rice
- Coconut Rice
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced ( about 1 inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1/4 tsp salt +
- chopped cilantro for serving
- Preheat oil in a large pan on medium heat
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric until onions are translucent and spices are fragrant. About 10 min.
- Add split red lentils and stir.
- Quickly add coconut milk, and use the same can to add the same amount of water as of coconut milk.
- Add Salt
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook covered until lentils are tender (about 15 min).
- Adjust for salt and serve topped with fresh chopped cilantro.
- You can make this with the legume of your preference, just make sure they’ve been soaked and that you adjust cooking time as necessary.
- Another version that works is adding crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce instead of water.
- This recipe lets you play around a bit, so don’t be afraid to add something you like or remove something you don’t.