I’m celebrating my birthday sharing this delicious vegan and gluten free chocolate cupcake recipe with you!
They’re super easy to make, even for baking-challenged people like me. It requires no special equipment or mixers, just two bowls and the mixing tool of your choice.
I filled them and topped them with a Coconut Whipped Cream from Minimalist Baker. She has a super detailed post about how to do it and what the best options for coconut milk and sweeteners are.
But you can also fill and top it with:
- A berry jam
- A nut butter
- A vegan caramel sauce
- A buttercream frosting with vegan butter
- 1.5 cups gluten free baking flour ( i use this one)
- 1 cup sugar (or other sugar of choice)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350* F
- Mix all the dry ingredients ( gluten-free flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt) together in a medium bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients (coconut milk, vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla extract) together in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Make sure to not over mix.
- Pour into lined cupcake pans 3/4 of the way.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Use a spoon to remove part of the center, about one inch down.
- Fill with your filling of choice.
- Add toppings of your choice.
NOTES & VARIATIONS:
- If not gluten-free you can replace the flour 1 to 1 with regular baking flour.
- You can replace coconut sugar to make it refined sugar free.
- This makes about 14-16 cupcakes.
- This recipe is far from mine, it’s an adaptation of a couple of recipes I found online.